Monday, December 19, 2016

When dummy gives you a lemon... make lemonade!

Playing in a recent BBO/ACBL 12-board tournament, things were going moderately badly when I picked up the following hand on the last board:

Dealer: W
Vul: NS
North



West



East



South
♠ AKJT65
♥ 5
♦ 96
♣ AQ92

Bidding:
3D p p ?
HTML Bridge Hand Layout Creator


With a singleton diamond and two small hearts, I might venture a 4 call here but with two losers in their suit, I decided on a simple 3 which was passed out. Worrying at first that we might have missed game, I switched my concerns to just making my contract when I saw dummy!


Dealer: W
Vul: NS
North
♠ 74
♥ J98764
♦ Q8
♣ 753
West



East



South
♠ AKJT65
♥ 5
♦ 96
♣ AQ92

Bidding:
3D p  p 3S
 p  p  p
HTML Bridge Hand Layout Creator

The LHO led DA, then the 7 to his partner's K. There didn't seem much hope of ever getting to dummy to take a black suit finesse, so when RHO continued with the HQ, I could only hope he'd switch to a black card. He didn't. I pitched two clubs on the K and A, while LHO pitched diamonds. On the following trick, RHO (a robot) erred by leading yet another heart. I pitched my third losing club and LHO was forced to ruff. But his only spade was the queen so at that point, I had the rest of the tricks.

Minus 200 isn't usually a good score, but this time it was a clear top. Not one of the other 18 declarers, several of whom were in game, thought to pitch on that second heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment