Friday, May 13, 2011

A lost opportunity

In fourth seat at favorable vulnerability, I picked up the following collection: ♠QT743 JT84293 ♣8.  Partner opened 1♣ in second seat and RHO bid 6!  I passed, as did LHO, and partner doubled.  We play that such a double is cooperative, so I can take it out if I think it's right.  On the plus side, I have two five card majors, and partner should have at least one four-card major on this auction.  On the other hand, if partner has the ♣A I can likely get a ruff for down one at least.  I decided to leave it in.  In an auction like this, partner's double can't mean don't lead clubs as well as suggesting a takeout.  Therefore I felt that the obvious lead was the ♣8.  Unfortunately (but perhaps not surprisingly) declarer had the ♣A and moreover was able to get to dummy in diamonds (with the 8) to pitch the losing spade on the A, which was the only card that dummy provided.  Once I don't lead a spade, the contract is always making, losing us a bushel of IMPs since most RHO's didn't bid 6 with their 1075 shape (with solid diamonds). 

Bidding 6♠ would have improved our score to only -500 which would have actually given us few IMPs on the plus side.  But best of all would be for me to lead a spade and set the contract for a gain of almost 12 imps.

The lesson here I suppose is that if you develop a system of unlimited cooperative doubles, you should at least try to use it!

1 comment:

  1. 6D overcall, wow! Personality of the overcaller seems to be relevant, but, in general, I would be betting that the overcaller is prepared for a club lead, the suit that your partner opened and thus the lead that overcaller is expecting you to make. That is far from saying what non-club should be led, or if you should be sitting for the contract. The testosterone call is to pass the double of 6D ... but I bet I would have lead a heart and, it sounds, suffered the same result as did you.

    ReplyDelete